Make Respect for All Life Part of Every Day
January 21 @ 6:55 pm
Every Life, Including Yours, is Sacred
The sacredness of life and the dignity that has been bestowed upon each of our lives provides a solid foundation, especially at a time when the ground beneath us is shifting and quaking. This sacredness is rooted in my existence and being–not my choices, feelings or opinions. My very self, my very identity is “loved,” and this is what makes my life sacred. I am loved by God.
Valuing Every Human Life
January 22nd is a day of prayer for the legal protection of unborn children. It commemorates the anniversary of Roe v. Wade which legalized abortion in our country. When we devalue life in one aspect, it affects how we think and how we love or do not love each other in other aspects of life. When I, personally, do not understand my dignity and my sacredness rooted in the first moment of my existence (my conception), then my perception of the whole of reality is skewed; it is damaged. The root basis for love is wounded, but never beyond healing.
Holding Fast to Christ & His Teachings
As the ground beneath us shifts and quakes, we are tempted to grasp for control, to gain a steady footing. Let us instead intentionally surrender ourselves to Jesus Christ who came to reveal to you and to me the love of the Father for each individual person. While we may be unable to walk or march down the streets of Washington D.C., San Francisco, or our state capitols throughout the country this year, we can choose to affirm the dignity and sacredness of the unborn child’s life by affirming and loving the life of those around us – living in our homes and driving on our streets. How many times do we succumb to degrading self-talk or devalue the sacredness and dignity of life by impatience with family members, gossip among friends, or impassioned raving against our civil or Church leaders?
Putting It Into Practice
It is still the beginning of 2021, and we would do well to recall the words of St. Augustine, “Our hearts will [continue to] be restless until they rest in Thee.” Let us be seized by Our Lord and repeat His saving words to us, “But now thus says the Lord, He who created you, O Jacob, He who formed you, O Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are Mine.” Isaiah 43:1
We encourage you to join us in practicing respect for life with some actions you can take with your those you love.
- Examine your conscience nightly, recalling how you loved well and considering how to better love your neighbor
- Thank the Lord for three things/graces that you are grateful for today
- Refrain from gossip or unkind speech about others
- Compliment those around you, especially if you find them difficult to love
- Donate supplies to a crisis pregnancy center
- Be a prayerful presence for unborn babies and their mothers outside of an abortion clinic
- Pray the Rosary for the respect of all human life, from conception to natural death
- Spiritually adopt an unborn child: “Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you very much. I beg you to spare the life of the unborn baby that I have spiritually adopted who is in danger of abortion.” -Prayer of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen