The 2019-2020 school year saw the founding of our community’s newest mission, with four Sisters setting out to teach at JSerra Catholic High School in San Juan Capistrano, California. The Sisters reside in a renovated convent at St. Columban Catholic Church in Garden Grove, a vibrant parish that has welcomed the Sisters with open arms.
Prior to COVID-19, a typical school day would find the Sisters spread across campus in their respective departments, leading students into deeper encounter with Jesus Christ through the truths of Science, History, English, and Theology.
The school’s mid-March move to online learning brought new adventures. Fresh opportunities to share the love of the Father from within the walls of the convent abounded, including activities such as:
- Filming faculty retreat reflections
- Creating faith-boost videos for students through JSerra Campus Ministry’s Instagram
- Giving students glimpses of the joys of Religious Life while being featured on the JSerra broadcasting program’s “Lion Report” newscast
- Sharing in the thrills of Sr. Miriam’s “Kitchen Chemistry” show, which featured many labs for her students to try at home (and others – such as measuring the energy release of a flaming Cheeto – to NOT try at home)
- Live-streaming of the Sisters’ convent Mass to allow families to continue taking part in the school’s tradition of a weekly all-school Mass
- Assisting with graduation preparations – quarantine style!
In all this, the Sisters have found joy in the living of their vows, the offering of their prayers, and the giving of themselves for the salvation of souls in imitation of St. Dominic. Christ’s love spurs on our continued mission to the beloved people of southern California.